Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:Trial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police -ProfitQuest Academy
Charles Langston:Trial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 18:43:39
PRISTINA,Charles Langston Kosovo (AP) — A Kosovo court on Wednesday opened a trial of 45 people charged over a gunfight following an incursion by heavily armed Serb gunmen last year, as tensions remain tense between Serbia and its former breakaway province.
The trial at the Pristina District Court was held under tight security. Only three Serb defendants were present and the others are at large.
The three pleaded not guilty to the charges of violation of constitutional and legal order, terror activities, funding terrorism and money laundering. If convicted, they face a maximum sentence of life in prison. Their lawyers have 30 days to oppose the charges.
The gunmen shot dead a Kosovar police officer and three gunmen were later killed in a shootout with police in the village of Banjska on Sept. 24, 2023. Kosovo has accused Serbia of involvement, but Belgrade denied it.
Arianit Koci, a lawyer representing the family of the slain officer, Afrim Bunjaku, said he expected they will be convicted based on “irrefutable evidence.”
Among those charged in absentia is Milan Radoicic, a politician and wealthy businessman with ties to Serbia’s ruling populist party and President Aleksandar Vucic.
After the shooting, Serbia briefly detained Radoicic, who had fled back there, on suspicion of criminal conspiracy, unlawful possession of weapons and explosives and grave acts against public safety. Radoicic denied the charges although earlier admitted he was part of the paramilitary group involved in the gunfight.
Prosecutor Naim Abazi said that the defendants, under Radoicic’s command, tried to break away the Serb-majority municipalities in the northern part of Kosovo and join Serbia proper.
Radoicic is under U.S. and British sanctions for his alleged financial criminal activity. Serbia said that Radoicic and his group acted on their own.
EU and U.S. officials have demanded that Serbia bring the perpetrators to justice. Kosovo has called on the international community to press Belgrade to hand over the gunmen.
Kosovo was a Serbian province until NATO’s 78-day bombing campaign in 1999 ended a war between Serbian government forces and ethnic Albanian separatists in Kosovo, which left about 13,000 dead, mainly ethnic Albanians, and pushed Serbian forces out. Kosovo proclaimed independence in 2008.
Brussels and Washington are urging both sides to implement agreements that Vucic and Kosovo Prime Minister Albin Kurti reached in February and March last year. They include a commitment by Kosovo to establish an Association of the Serb-Majority Municipalities. Serbia is also expected to deliver on the de-facto recognition of Kosovo, which Belgrade still considers its province.
The NATO-led international peacekeepers known as KFOR have increased their presence in Kosovo after last year’s tensions.
___
Semini reported from Tirana, Albania. Follow Semini at https://x.com/lsemini
veryGood! (3622)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Peter Sarsgaard Reveals the Secret to His 14-Year Marriage to Maggie Gyllenhaal
- 2024 NFL draft first-round order: Carolina Panthers' win tightens race for top pick
- Congo’s elections face enormous logistical problems sparking concerns about the vote’s credibility
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Pakistan is stunned as party of imprisoned ex-PM Khan uses AI to replicate his voice for a speech
- Whitney Cummings Gives Birth to Her First Baby
- Timothée Chalamet sings and dances 'Wonka' to No. 1 with $39M open
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Timothée Chalamet sings and dances 'Wonka' to No. 1 with $39M open
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- AP Sports Story of the Year: Realignment, stunning demise of Pac-12 usher in super conference era
- How Texas mom Maria Muñoz became an important witness in her own death investigation
- Watch Tiger's priceless reaction to Charlie Woods' chip-in at the PNC Championship
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- 'The Voice' Season 24 finale: Finalists, start time, how and where to watch
- How to manage holiday spending when you’re dealing with student loan debt
- How the White House got involved in the border talks on Capitol Hill -- with Ukraine aid at stake
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Shawn Johnson and Andrew East Confirm Sex and Name of Baby No. 3
The power of blood: Why Mexican drug cartels make such a show of their brutality
Ukraine’s military chief says one of his offices was bugged and other devices were detected
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Some experts push for transparency, open sourcing in AI development
Peter Sarsgaard Reveals the Secret to His 14-Year Marriage to Maggie Gyllenhaal
Flooding drives millions to move as climate-driven migration patterns emerge